0

My interpretation of the history of Peru

Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2013


Today we went to the Museo Larco in Lima. Learning about Incan history in the United States we were always taught that the Incan kings were considered  Gods. The Larco Museum has a collection of Incan headdresses and body ornaments. Seeing these relics on the mannequins at the museum were breathtaking; to see a person wearing amazing shinning gold ornaments from head to toe. I do not disbelieve they were god-like. I wish I could post my pictures from my camera ( unfortunately I forgot the correct connection).

One thing that struck me was the old musical instruments. One in particular was a large block of a wood with several holes in the top carved to several lengths. Again I wish I could post a picture because it looked almost identical to the flutes played last night at the Brisas del Titicaca show, a Peruvian traditional dance show.

The museum also contained large clay pots/vats. I did not catch the traditional name due to lack of time; the guide from the museum as well as ourselves were on a tight schedule. However, we were explained that the Incan people would brew and share chicha (essentially beer) in them. I wonder if the cultural traditions are the reasons we see such a difference in social behavior. One thing I have noticed since I have been here is that the people are closer to their loved ones than in the United States, or at least it appears so in public. For example, while we were in Chinatown, a portion of downtown Lima, we had about a half hour of free time that I spent resting on a bench. While watching the people passing by I notice that almost 70-80% of the people were wither linking arms or holding hands of their loved ones. Perhaps the sharing of the chicha back in Incan times instilled a culture of people who not only share but are close to one another and build communities together.

Continuing with this notions the amazing experience we had a daycare we visited today. Many mothers who live in the district San Juan de Miraflores came together and built a daycare their hands to house their children. From what I have heard, the mothers largely build this daycare from their own money, and donations from UNO coordinated by Dr. Celle, and no help from the local government.

I thought today was great being able to connect the long ago history with more present history present history. Also making connections with the differences between behaviors of other cultures that stem from their ancestors.

Discussion

Leave a response

Powered by Blogger.